My Greeting Card Shop

Friday, August 7, 2009

Revamped Old Lamp

This is a lamp from my childhood. I resurrected it from my dad's basement, I thought it was cool. I love the design but some of it was pukey looking, definately needed help. I forgot to take pics of it before I finished it, but let me give you the lowdown. This lampshade was a light yellow with Dark green and yellow swirls. I took it apart, cleaned it up and gave the lampshade several coats of Delta Ceramcoat Pearl Finish. The swirls are now dark brown, light brown and white, much better. The cord that fastens the shade to the wiring was dark green and was literally falling apart as I was removing it. I replaced it with brown cord. It's actually the stuff you can make necklaces out of.


The base is ceramic and light green with white splotches and I just love it! All it needed was cleaning.

The very bottom of the lamp was black and peeling, so I sanded it and spray painted it dark brown. My husband helped me put in fresh wiring, and when we plugged it in to try it out, I got tears in my eyes because I was so happy. It looks great in my family room, where the recliner is forest green and the couch is off white leather.

This lamp just really takes me back to my childhood, and it's a good feeling. Thank you mom and dad, Ronda and Paul. I love you all.
Oh, and this lamp is NOT for sale. : )

5 comments:

Jan said...

I can't imagine what it looked like before, but it looks great now! And thank you! My husband has a lamp/table combination that is ratty looking but he refuses to part with it. Maybe I can steal a page from your book and jazz it up a little!

readingsully2 said...

Lamp looks great but what is important is how much it means to you in a sentimental way. Cherish it. :)

Kathleen said...

Very awesome lamp and the transformation is wonderful! Enjoy your keepsake =)

Unknown said...

Jan, thank you. Wouldn't it be cool if you could give your husbands lamp/table a bit of a facelift? Here's wishing you the best with that.

readingsully2, Thank you. My kids hate it, but yes, it means alot to me and I will cherish it.

Kathleen, thank you. : )

Mary Fox of Fox On The Run said...

You did a wonderful job on the lamp! I am enjoying your blog so much. God bless your day. Mary